Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 7 of 7
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Becoming frustrated - 03/20/2005
I have applied twice to have my group submitted to the Phomanialdiva webring. I have added the codes to my page and each time I get a email stating they are not applied properly, but when I click on them they work without a hitch. I had to make my group priviate due to graphic stealing. Its a group about disabilities I have sent emails to the webmaster and no replies. I am about ready to give up

Replied - 03/20/2005
caliboo626 wrote:
I have added the codes to my page and each time I get a email stating they are not applied properly, but when I click on them they work without a hitch. I had to make my group priviate due to graphic stealing.

= = = = =

You did not provide a URL for any of us to use to look at your page so it makes it difficult for us to offer constructive feedback.

However, you do not that you made your group "private". That implies, to me, that a casual visitor to the page on which you have placed the webring code, cannot see the page.

Webrings are a way for visitors to hop from site to site to site, in a circle, eventually returning to the original site.

If the visitor to YOUR site cannot SEE your site and cannot SEE the webring code on your site, there is no reason to hop to your site. In addition, it prevents the visitor from hopping to the NEXT site.

In such a case, even if YOU can see the code and the navbar, it doesn't matter.

What matters is whether the casual visitor hopping to your page can see your page and your code and the navbar.

Can they?

If not, then webrings won't work for you.

If you'd like to supply your page URL, some of us would be happy to look and give you more help.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webringemail

Replied - 03/20/2005
James is exactly on point. I have had to deny membership in my Rings more than once or twice to "group" URLs that turned out to be *private* groups. When anyone who is NOT a member of the "group" tries to access the URL, they are greeted with a page that says "sorry, but this is a PRIVATE group...", or something of the sort. In order to be admitted as a member of a WebRing, your group will have to be made PUBLIC, so that ANYONE can access the group's web page.

Michelle
lildachs

Replied - 03/20/2005
Just one further note... I've also had "group" URLs that were *public* to be admitted as members to a Ring, just to find out a week later that they made their group *private* after their membership was approved. Keep in mind that if the casual visitor (non-group member) cannot visit a group's URL, then the WebRing navigation code checker won't be able to check it either, and the site will FAIL the checker test. At that point, it would be suspended from the Ring, and then deleted if the situation isn't corrected.

Michelle
lildachs

Replied - 03/20/2005
Good points, Michelle.

Some of this confusion sometimes results because people think that these are web DIRECTORIES.

They are not.

They are web RINGS.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webringemail

Replied - 03/25/2005
I believe I recently chatted with this User through Support. If not this one, than a similar one with the same situation with the same Ring. I think the problem begins because the owners of these types of sites forget that their groups are configured to be private, many because they have to be as a result of content. These people are normally logged into the appropriate account when viewing their site so they forget that it actually is not accessible to the casual visitor and, thus, our checker as well. Others may misunderstand that the coding must be accessible on the registered URL without any extra work of creating or logging into accounts. To them it's on the right page and all is well, no matter how it may appear to the rest of us. It's usually nothing more than a misunderstanding or oversight.

Replied - 03/25/2005
how do I remove javascript from my site

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy