Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 2 of 2
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

As for myself ... - 09/29/2006
... what I'm going to do is next to nothing. The way my sites are set up, there is a feed-in to a central webring return page, that then sends the visitor to one of a set of pages in which the navbars for his page of arrival appear. This allows me to achieve total webring navigibility, gets rid of the huge ringserver straining navbar stacks that a larger site can end up generating, and reduces the strain on the website server, because most people will just click on thir ring navbar the moment they see it, instead of going back all of the way and reloading the entire page they came in on.

As an unforseen benefit, this also gives me a relatively few choke points for me to remove the applicable links from. I can take my sweet time about removing the Webring return pages - once they're no longer linked to from elsewhere in my sites, they're no longer giving Webring a darned thing. In theory, the links to Webring still exist, but who cares? It's a minor amount of HTML waiting to be cleared away, and no bandwidth, at that point. Setting that system up was A LOT of work, but it's work I've already done, for reasons unconncted to the present insanity.

I'm not saying that this is the best solution, but its my solution. I've jumped through so many hoops dealing with c**p on the Internet, that in terms of time, I just want to cut my losses.

Replied - 09/29/2006
Fifteen months from now, Webring will still be getting mostly dead silence from me, then one day, most likely, a code check will reveal that at some point in 2007, I removed all links to Webring from my own sites and those I websmaster for. Obviously, I'm not going to reciprocate links I'm not getting anymore, and I'm not going to pay megabucks for as minor a service as this one. Even the vintage navbars I keep around as curiosities will have the links on them disabled.

After years of deranged political BS from online people who should know better, what I need is a (deleted) vacation. Even if this meant that my sites were never seen again, I suppose that would be annoying, but the real question is "just how much time, trouble and money is the Internet really worth". Never asking that question is a short path to not having a life outside of the Internet, because as these guys have shown, until enough people put their feet down and say "no more!", the demands never stop escalating. There are some people online I would miss, but there are far more of those I meet offline, so for me the question is "where do I set my priorities". Not on this garbage, that's for darned sure.

I'm not going to update my membership, and I'm not going to buy a "premium membership". Not now. Not ever. Nor will any of those I webmaster for, at last one of them having a site that, at several hundred thousand hits per year, is probably one of the more heavily visited sites on this system. If Webring wants to cut off our memberships in response to this, no problem. We don't care. Which I guess is kind of a New York thing to say, isn't it? Some of my family members will be so proud. :)

Me? I'm just going to enjoy the chance to kick back outside with a stack of books, a nice tall pither of peppermint iced tea, soak in a little early fall sunshine and wonder of wonders - relax. Does anybody still do that in the 21st century? I'll give it a try.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy