Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 3 of 3
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

webring manager 1 - 01/26/2007
I am not sure I understand the idea of webring.
I only want to grt in touch with other members to share
info and communication with said to accomplish my goals.
My wife and I just bought a new popup camper and plan
to travel to mexico and experience the country by rv camping.
I JOINED webring for this purpose , but cannot seem to get any response. Can anyone help!?

Replied - 01/26/2007
I am not sure I understand the idea of webring.
= = = = = = = = = =

When the concept of webring was originally created by Sage Weil, it was a way for individuals to create clusters of websites with something in common. The sites themselves might have shared a common theme, or common information. Or, the sites' owners might have shared a common interest, or common heritage, or common life challenge. After an individual created the "club" (the individual webring). other individuals would have their site join that particular webring. They joined and showed membership by placing the code on their site. The code would allow interested visitors to jump from member site to member site ... to travel the webring.

In the original concept, the individual webring belonged to the founding individual. The individual webring was the focus. The system that drove the whole thing was secondary; the system existed to serve the individual owners.

As it exists today, there are some changes already made, and some in the works.

In today's WebRing.com system, the system asserts some level of ownership and control over the individual webring. The individual has moved from owner to maintenance volunteer. In today's system, the importance of the system has increased substantially, and the importance of the individual ringmaster seems diminished.

Today, instead of being a tool for owners to use as they see fit, the system is working to become a destination in and of itself. In this transformation, the individual ringmasters stop being individual webring owners and become volunteers for the system to maintain a network of sites that will drive traffic to the system generating revenue for the system, even as the system serves as a type of site directory.

In the new model WebRing.com becomes somewhat like DMOZ.org ... a directory of websites, categorized by subject, with each subject managed by a subject volunteer. In such a system, there would be, idealy, one and only one webring for each subject.

Unlike DMOZ, the new WebRing.com system provides vestiges of Sage Weil's old webring concept (like site to site jumping). And, unlike DMOZ, it is commercial, deriving the revenue it needs to exist from the advertising revenue it generates.

James S. Huggins
to contact me --- http://JSH.us/webring-email

Replied - 01/30/2007
I see you have no memberships in any rings or forums. Do you have a website, or are you solely interested in "talking" with others? Are you not hearing from people in camper/travel forums?

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy