Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 2 of 2
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

where did the community go? Part TWO - 04/18/2007
"My specific concern of having my 'redundant' and 'off topic' pages removed is real. My WebRing pages are on topic, but I also have some pages attached to the URL that are not."

I guess I'm not getting this one. If the page you have a specific ring on is on topic for that ring what makes you think someone would kick your site out of that ring? While looking at sites in a ring I'm merging I look for content that matched that ring. If the ring is about monkeys and you have monkey content on your site, I really don't care that you also have content about zebras.

"Discussions by simple members aren't encouraged, they are nipped in the bud. If I didn't care about Webring I wouldn't worry about it, but I do care."

I don't think discussions by members are discouraged. I think the constant complaints are discouraged. The fact is the system is changing to fit the world today. Constant harping about "Why are you doing this to us" isn't helping. It simply continues to stir the pot. Discussions about where Webring is going, how we can help, how we can make it a better community within the new set-up, I'm sure, are more than welcome!

Replied - 04/19/2007

I would say this lack is the biggest problem of all. If all 'these people' are upset, it might be a good idea to hear from the people that believe the change is going to be good. What exactly, is being cleaned and what is 'the new setup?' And why is it good for us? Honestly, all I've seen in answer to the complaints is shut-up or get-out. Not very nice and friendly, nor community minded.

(discussion on)

Good. I hope everyone isn't too busy cleaning to discuss the new set-up clearly so I will know exactly what is happening. A couple of questions that this change has brought to my attention.

What I know -- managers are being evicted from their own rings and members switched to where-ever staff decides. I chose my rings personally, for reasons important to me. I don't want to be moved. I have a new ring title in my account now that I know nothing about. I wasn't even made aware of the change by the new manager. I believe it's a site of over 200 members which will place me at least as number 199 on the list. Not good for me.

What I don't know -- Who really owns the individual rings? If I set up a new ring with my own logo, would I be franchising from WebRing? What is the new set up? What's wrong with small rings?

What I assume -- mergers are to get rid of small, like-minded sites. Right or wrong?

I purposely avoided joining large rings way back when, and I don't want to be merged into one. The ring hub of larger rings, and WebRing might get more hits from Google, but the members won't necessarily. Their own Google ranking number will still depend on their own efforts. Right? Personally, I'd rather rank higher in the ring itself. It feeds my ego.

I'm not 'complaining' about mergers exactly, I'm only giving my opinion and voting for the smaller sites.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy