Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 4 of 4
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

DELETE OUT - 11/02/2007
Any one able to tell me how to get out of this mess? I would like to delete my account and site from webring. This has simply been far more trouble than it could possibly be worth.
Codes that don`t work, ring managers that say they don`t when they do. No explanation why one should need a masters degree to work within the framework of a ring. Oh yes, I will tell friends about it, at the same time I tell them of rings that work.

Replied - 11/02/2007
Well, getting out is sort of the reverse of getting in. you can go to manage each ring site you submitted and delete the entry. then the account once all are gone.

Your problem is not uncommon for users of MSN and MySpace. It's really THEIR paranoia, not a problem with WebRing. They don't allow javascript on their sites, and some managers either require the javascript version of the navigation code, OR (and this is your situation) don't allow placing a link on the content page of your site, which you've registered GOOD for you! - which links to a page where the navigaton code resides.

We believe there are EXCELLENT applications of this "indirect" linking. Yours is a perfect example.

The third ring you applied to does not have this restriction and you are now active in that ring.

Hang in there.

Replied - 11/03/2007
Thanks for the input. Not only does MSN not accept java but the HTML is limited to. In other words not all code is accepted. It will automaticly change code to meets it`s criteria. This and the fact that the more they change things there the more they hide the groups is the reason we are expanding to a regualr web site. Even with that we paln to maintain the group simply because we have so many years of traffic and recognition there.
But I did get the Nav Bar up and tested it. Any benefits of rings to me would seem to be lost if I have to worry about meeting each managers specs within each ring. Oddly WebRing seems to have close ties with TopicCraze that has one of the easiest systems I have seen so far. My nav bars or on the sites entry page which is the page I have set here and the page that 60% of guest and members enter on. Only way to have more options would be to have it set on a Ring Navigation page which to me would seem to defeat their purpose. I may gain some visits that way, but would they realy look at the site, and in the other direction how many would go to the Nav Page to look at what it had to offer.

Replied - 11/04/2007
Topiccraze is considerably easier, by design. It lacks only in the direct cooperative sharing of traffic because there is no mandatory navigation code. It's not ring communities, it's topics.

You are absolutely right in not wanting to place navigation links on a "links" type page. The usefulness of links pages has been greatly undermined by the "link exchange" phenomenon that many people still do, despite learning that search engines consider those negatively in many cases. The should go on the page that best presents the topic of your site to arriving visitors. Generally that's the "home" or central page (hub page?) of your site. The place people go to learn what's on your site and navigate to AND FROM those other pages. Any kind of landing page, the purpose of which is to just capture traffic and then divert to the rest of your site without serving any other purpose, and without any substantive content, is, in our opinion, not ideal - it tends to get people lost and unable to "get back where they came from".

Perhaps MSN will loosen things up if enough people complain and/or leave.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy