Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 4 of 4
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Fake suspensions - 06/14/2010
The weirdness of the day ...

I log in today, and one of what had been my pending memberships is now marked "suspended/pass" instead of "pending/pass". "That seems like a strange thing for a webmaster to do", I think - admit a site and then immediately suspend it, so I delete that membership and replace it with another, in "Art Expansion".

History repeats itself, and I'm thinking that this isn't the ringmaster being weird, it's just a weird bug. Going into site management, instead of seeing "suspended/pass", I see "pending/pass", which isn't what one would expect, and what are the odds that one would see two people do the exact same weird thing, in rapid succession, at a time of day when most people are off at work, anyway, and not logging in?

So I think that there will be a fair number of very confused users, in the very near future.

Replied - 06/14/2010
Yes, there's another one, right now ... "Art Adventures on the Internet". Same pattern - mismatch between the statuses on the memberships page and the site management page, pending/pass being replaced by suspended/pass, just in the last few minutes.

The other three pending memberships look normal, so far. The conversion seems to affect only one membership at a time, but it seems to move in only one direction. Maybe that will mean something to the people at Support?

Replied - 06/14/2010
OK, now I have a message saying "You have suspended sites. Repair.", which might make this bug a little less amusing. It now gets in the way of any attempt to join more rings.

What will happen when those "suspended" (really pending) sites are approved remains to be seen.

Replied - 06/16/2010
No, not so bad - having been admitted to a ring, leaving me with four pendings (counting fake suspensions), I was able to apply to another ring. The problem is purely cosmetic.

Interesting the way this progresses - as the Art Adentures membership was approved, going from being a fake suspension to being an active site, two more meberships (Art and e-Art) flipped into the fake suspension category. Meaning that the number of fake suspensions seems to kick up by one, no matter how the application processing is coming. I'll bet if I knew more about software, I'd find that there was an interesting story in that.

Support at other sites is always telling the users "tell us everything you saw, in as much detail as you can". Having seen something that looked odd, I've done my best to do so. Perhaps some of this will prove useful should the bug, whatever it is, evolve into something less benign?

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy